Thoughts with summary mixed together.
I gave this a 62 out of 100. ‘The Something They Need(ed)’ was a better written episode. I hated this.
* Tara tells Rick about Oceanside and we see a montage on top of the dialog with them sneaking up to the compound.
* Maggie instructs Eduardo on being a farmer and planting crops inside the Hilltop facility as Gregory watches on.
* Eric is glad he went with Aaron and finally agrees that attacking the saviors is the only way. Jesus has regrets about letting Sasha and Rosita go.
* Sasha gets captured. (Gee, there’s a surprise. The last episode literally just lead her into this situation.)
* She’s sexually assaulted and Neegan kills her attacker (David) with a hunting knife through the throat. Negan leaves her with his big blade to kill the zombified rapist when he turns and in the total darkness of a holding cell; or to kill herself. He tries to convince Sasha to join the Saviors and makes her an offer.
* Eugene stops by to give her ‘creature comforts’ in the form of a pillow and a lantern (there goes your suspense with figuring out how to kill David). He tries to convince Sasha to take Negan’s offer like he did. He tries to convince Sasha that Abraham would want her to join him and she says no he wouldn’t and to go.
* Gregory follows Maggie outside the Hilltop walls; she’s trying to transplant a blueberry bush to the inside walls. He tries to kill her (while guarding her) but is stopped by the presence of walker he says he will kill. Maggie ends up killing the walker and also another one that attacks Gregory in the process. Gregory is caught in a lie about his abilities to kill walkers with Maggie and the other Hilltop folks; he hasn’t and he can’t.
* Rick and company set off explosives and fire off a lot of guns in the process of taking away the guns from the people at Oceanside; leaving them unprotected and setting off a huge zombie all you can eat signal. The Coup De Gras was Tara once again given the little girl the middle finger; except this time it applies to the entire community of Oceanside.
* Sasha tells Negan she will join them (He doesn’t trust her yet.) It appears Negan knows Rick is plotting something (who told him? Eugene?)
* Eugene goes to Sasha and she fakes wanting to kill herself so Eugene will bring her a weapon. He brings her the poison he had made for Negan’s wives.
* Rick and Company show up at Alexandria to find Dwight there with Rosita ready to offer his help against Negan. Daryl and Tara have to be held back. Rick tells him to get on his knees.
Best Line went to Negan: saying Sasha displayed her ‘beach ball sized lady nuts’.
* Eugene is a coward and cowards are definitely some of the most dangerous wildcards in the show.
* Eugene bringing the poison and not knowing if it would be painless had me in stitches (especially when Sasha rolled her eyes.)
* Negan continues to show his grayness of character with his severe intolerance to rape and his tailored methods of recruitment when he offers comfortable settings to Sasha (instead of torturing her like he did with Daryl) in exchange for information on Rick’s plans.
* Negan says Sasha caused ‘One hell of a fracas last night’. I felt robbed of her fight displaying her ‘beach ball sized lady nuts’ with the Saviors and the zombie David. Why the heck did they give her a lantern too? That could have been the most terrifying walker scene they could have shot; a close quarters; darkness struggle with a walker. Oh well…
* Rick and Company have a plan to set off series of explosives to confuse the Oceansiders. There were some walkers that came due to the explosions, however leaving them with no weapons against what will probably be a large herd of walkers (due to all the noise) is just stupid. All the gun play taking out the walkers from the explosions will no doubt bring even more walkers. I don’t think that was well thought out.
* A lot of wasted time and dialog was spent in Oceanside on trying to convince me that all the noise; taking away the guns from the Oceansiders (who were mostly women and children) was a good idea and that they would be okay with it and join Rick and Company in their fight against the Saviors. It’s not going to be enough guns to give to the Junkyard Dogs (the Scavengers) and their leader Dieter (Jadis).
* I don’t feel any real buildup here between the Saviors and everyone else in this episode, so if a war is going to be set off the final episode of this season they will have to address that first thing in the next episode.
* I thought Tara not having any pangs of guilt about taking the guns away from the Oceansiders was cold and heartless. I do know ‘giving the finger’ was an inside joke between Tara and the Oceanside girl. We know the girl can take care of herself, however I can’t help feeling the way in which these weapons were taken could have been done without excessive unnecessary dialog; making so much noise and in a way that would compel the Oceansiders to want to help Rick when he needs them. What specifically exists now that would drive the Oceansiders to help the Alexandrians at this point? I think that is a faulty plot point for me. They could have had Rick save their leader or their group from something like a Savior attack or herd attack (that was not caused by the Alexandrian’s themselves.) Those things are certainly more compelling reasons to help Rick and Company then what exists on the page now.
* Who’s side is Eugene on?
* Who’s side is Dwight really on?
* Where are the heck are you Heath?? An update is long overdue. Who are the people you are with and can they join in the war? Do they even know who Negan and the Saviors are?
* Does anyone mark Sasha with death?